Day #2: Meaning of My Business Name
About 2 years ago, my mom and I were into (still are) flipping furniture– like resurfacing and making something old look new. I originally had an idea to create a pop-up shop to sell vintage finds that we re-done. Not that, doing that didn’t work out, I just decided to put my passions somewhere else, but I kept the name for my business I had decided on. At the same time, a good friend had asked me to take some of her Senior pictures for college… and BAM! Just like that, my passion bloomed into a business.
The reason I decided to name my business Modern Roses was that 1. my favorite flower is a rose and 2. my middle name is Rose. I wanted something new and fresh that represented me ( I was also inspired by Madonna’s book: The English Roses to be honest. If you haven’t read this children’s book, then you’re missing out.).
From that point on, Modern Roses Design and Photography has grown into something beautiful. I have done a lot of portraits for my friends an family and design for small businesses, to bigger corporations. Even though I am going a different route with my dreams with perusing my masters in psychology, my art will always have a special place in my heart.
If you are just dying to see some of my portraits (which I don’t blame you) head over to my Instagram.
In order to connect and write worthy posts, I am going to do a series of 30 days of blog posts. P.S. I got this off Pinterest so I want to thank Pinterest for my inspirations for the next 30 days. Get ready to bloom into my life.
Today is #1. Seventeen Facts About Me
- I am an only child
- I recently graduated and am now starting graduate school to study psychology (wait, is that two? oh well)
- My family are my biggest fans
- I am a photographer
- I work in sales
- I have a cat that stays at my parents’ house (or her castle because she thinks she’s a queen)
- I bought a house at 21.
- My life path number is 11. (If you don’t know what life path numbers are add your birthday up and Google it. I’m sure you’ll learn something about yourself)
- I’ve gone through all of life’s stressors and lost more people than I would have imagined at the end of 2016 and through this year
- I love pizza and ice cream
- I am gluten free
- I am slightly obsessed with Gossip Girl and Greys Anatomy. I have watched both series more times than I’d like to admit
- My favorite bible verse is Romans 12:12
- I have a thing for numbers (if you couldn’t tell by fact #11)
- I am passionate about giving back and helping veterans
- I bake cupcakes
- I started this blog to have an outlet and display my creative work
Boom. Done. Fin.
a little about me.
I am a 23-year-old trying to figure out my place in the world. Oh also I am a recent college grad and I am going back to school for my masters. My family says I am an overachiever and I would have to agree with them; but when I know something is right for me, I am passionate about whatever is thrown my way.
Rewind to 2009, where I had blonde chunks peeking through parts of my hair and took graphic design to have an excuse to be with my friends in class in order to feel like I fit in. I learned the basics and quickly fell head over heels with being behind the camera and photoshop. Mind you, I wasn’t very good and had a lot to learn, but I soon learned to prove myself and others.
Fast forward to 2014 where I challenged myself in college to experience more than just business classes. I expanded my portfolio and learned art is just that: art. It is whatever you make of it. Photography and graphic design has shown me: be who you want because there is only one you (so what, if other people don’t like that). Two years later, I graduated from Grand Canyon University with a Bachelor of Science in Marketing and started Modern Roses. I am continually challenged with working with an array of clients and projects. I have never been happier to explore and have a creative outlet.
What do I love most? Being a part of my clients’ memories, hearing their stories and capturing & reflecting through my camera and art how my clients may not see themselves.
So welcome to my secret garden where the flowers are colored with life, love and a little bit of everything in between.